The result of the whole discussion about Gideon and 2.2 (was: Re: A common roadmap)

Falk Brettschneider gigafalk at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 1 00:24:02 UTC 2002

John Birch wrote:

>On Sun, 31 Mar 2002 23:21, Christoph Cullmann wrote:
>
>>>Then why not move KDevelop to kdesdk too ?

KDevelop will keep a stand-alone project only depending on kdelibs.

>>I don't think any of these "mega" apps should be in kdesdk, as kdesdk is a
>>collection of some "small" utils for devs/i18n people.
>>

>I agree. kdevelop cvs is the place for both
>
>ATM I have three seperate directories
>kdevelop2.1 (KDE_2_2_BRANCH)
>kdevelop2.2 (KDEVELOP_2_BRANCH)
>kdevelop3.0 (HEAD)
>
>Now KDevelop2 is wanting to use gideons parts. So rather than have two
>branches with the parts existing in both, we could put both apps in the HEAD.
>ie
>-kdevelop top level
>--- common libs
>--- parts
>--- gideon
>--- kdevelop2
>
>So you'll get both apps with a cvs update. Have a configure switch to compile
>gideon and another to compile kdevelop2. By default, just compile kdevelop2
>for the time being.
>
>Note that since we're trying to get kdevelop to manage the Makefiles the above
>scheme will be a challenge. (Ie kdevelop2 will struggle to do this and I
>don't know how gideon will handle this either).
>
>For me, this will make it easier to work on either app, and it means that work
>in the parts will benefit both apps. Plus it doesn't favour one app over the
>other, as much as two branches does, particularly when new developers come
>along. We'll only lose the kdevelop2 history but as it'll be in the branch,
>this doesn't seem important to me.
>
>Thoughts...

Which should become reality...

I had a look and it seems to be easy except I don't know how to merge
the project root directory. For instance how to merge the toplevel
Makefile.am? How to merge the other relevant toplevel files?

>jbb

Ciao
F at lk