The result of the whole discussion about Gideon and 2.2 (was: Re: A common roadmap)

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Mon Apr 1 00:21:02 UTC 2002

On Sunday 31 March 2002 18:59, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 01:20:57PM +0200, Christian Couder wrote:
> >
> > Richard Dale wrote:
> > > I don't think reorganising the CVS like this is a good idea,
> > > either with adding new branches or moving things around, or both.
> > > We might lose the cvs history and that will make it harder to
> > > maintain both gideon and KDevelop.
> >
> > I am not a CVS expert but I heard that there are hacks to do it
> > properly and not lose anything.
>
> You can't transfer stuff out of a branch without loosing history.
> It's different to copying files on the CVS server to preserve
> history for the trunk.

Isn't it possible to just merge the KDEVELOP_2_BRANCH into HEAD? As the
two branches use different directories for their source code (the
branch puts all under the subdir "kdevelop" and gideon uses subdirs in
the toplevel directory of the module) this shouldn't cause many
conflicts and would also preserve the history.