KTextEditor - freeze is soon ;)

Roland Krause rokrau at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 30 04:32:07 UTC 2001

Jo,
thanks for bringing this to the right people. I have very limited
experience with kde-core-devel.

Anyway, I talked to Christoph about this today and I had a first look
at the interface. He arranged it quite smart, i.e. it is extendible w/o
breaking b.c.. That should do it for the most part, he also promised to
reimplement all the interface stuff that I already implemented earlier
this year.

As I said, it is quite early for a freeze, but December sounds a whole
lot better.

I have finally a development (CVS) version of KDevelop (2.2 and HEAD)
running, so I expect to be able to spend a few hours on it now.

So, currently I have KDE_2_2_BRANCH and HEAD running, compiled with Qt3
and KDE3. Btw. the former requires a fix that I have not yet checked
in, do you guys want to see it first?.

There is also KDEVELOP_2_BRANCH which replaced our own kwrite with
kate. It worked at the time 2.2.1 was released but it must be heavily
broken. I will have to merge all changes made to the KDE_2_2_BRANCH
between release of 2.2.1 and now into it, additionally I have to
compile it with Christophs new kate interface. If I can get this done,
we could think of merging this up into the KDE_2_2_BRANCH and releasing
it with KDE3. I take it gideon isnt going to be ready by then.

Ian recently did convince me of good, clean way to have the 'beloved'
MDI based interface using kate as the texteditor part in gideon. So I
would really like to try that asap..

Regards
Roland, who hopes to make it back in the ChangeLog soon...