nasty bug, CKDevelop::edit_widget

Roland Krause rokrau at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 12 18:13:27 UTC 2001

Falk, friends,

I am very much aware of the current development situation.

As a relatively new person approaching the KDevelop project, I would
like to say how unfortunate, I believe, the decision to start a new
KDevelop completely from scratch is.

While I am very much aware of the fact that this is "Open Source"
development and that for this reason everybody is entitled to work on
anything they like and want to, there are some reasons for my opinion
of which I would like to list a few:

It is my personal opinion and preference that I like to rather improve
on an existing application, than to start from scratch and have nothing
usable in hands for months to come. In order to be able to justify my
time spent on this project, I have to get somewhat immediate results.
It is kind of an "instant gratification" situation, but it is also the
simple need to have a working IDE on Unix.

In a more general way, we are getting to an important point in the
history of "Desktop Unix". The point where developers will or already
have turn their backs on the Unix platform because of the lack of
decent integrated development tools. I can see it in daily experience
at work where already most developers refuse to actively develop on
Unix because they like Visual Studio better than a bunch of nedit
windows and the command line. Quite frankly, so do I. So I do see kind
of an urgency to have a good KDevelop. It will attract developers which
in turn will then contribute to it. It's that simple, the more users
you have, the better your program will become.

Since we are talking "Open Source" here, there is noone who can prevent
people from picking up KDevelop-2 and improving on it, and that's what
we see, that is what Falk, John and Ralf are doing currently. Unless
there really is something like a working KDevelop-3 application,
version 2 will be what I would like to focus on currently.

I would also lile to try to backport some if the stuff, maybe even the
ideas only, from version 3 to version 2, the project management could
be a first starting point. Maybe it can be used in both versions. I
believe KDevelop-3 is a great pool of ideas and concepts.

Sorry for this long email. I will try to send short ones from now on.
Roland

=====
--
Roland Krause
In the garage of life there are mechanics and