nasty bug, CKDevelop::edit_widget

Christian Couder chcouder at club-internet.fr
Tue Mar 13 12:28:22 UTC 2001

Hi Roland,

Roland Krause wrote:

> Falk, friends,
>
> I am very much aware of the current development situation.
>
> As a relatively new person approaching the KDevelop project, I would
> like to say how unfortunate, I believe, the decision to start a new
> KDevelop completely from scratch is.

I agree, but you know there were also good reasons to start it at that
time:

_ KDE 2 was a complete rewrite from KDE 1 so why not do the same for
KDevelop,
_ the KPart architecture,
_ the need for MDI stuff,
_ the fact that the KDevelop 1.x project file format doesn't work well
with CVS,
_ the code bloat in KDevelop 1.x.

The main problem as Ralf said is that no one working on KDevelop is paid
to work full time on it.
This is the big difference between KDE and KDevelop. That's why we
failed to make a brand new KDevelop 2 at the same time KDE 2 was
released.

Myself, I thought I could do the editor stuff but you know it's not easy
at all (with the KPart stuff and the MDI stuff at the same time) and
take a lot of time.

Also for example I told you a some days ago that I would perhaps make
bookmarks work again on different files. But I had no time until
yesterday to work on kdevelop, and yesterday I thought it would be
better to fix some bugs that made it crash...

> While I am very much aware of the fact that this is "Open Source"
> development and that for this reason everybody is entitled to work on
> anything they like and want to, there are some reasons for my opinion
> of which I would like to list a few:
>
> It is my personal opinion and preference that I like to rather improve
> on an existing application, than to start from scratch and have nothing
> usable in hands for months to come. In order to be able to justify my
> time spent on this project, I have to get somewhat immediate results.
> It is kind of an "instant gratification" situation, but it is also the
> simple need to have a working IDE on Unix.

I fully agree, this is also how I want to work on KDevelop.
And you know if I look at the code and see that it would take about 3
full days to make bookmarks work again on multiple files, then it wont
be exactly an "instant gratification" work, because I will probably only
be able to do it over at least 2 weeks...

> In a more general way, we are getting to an important point in the
> history of "Desktop Unix". The point where developers will or already
> have turn their backs on the Unix platform because of the lack of
> decent integrated development tools. I can see it in daily experience
> at work where already most developers refuse to actively develop on
> Unix because they like Visual Studio better than a bunch of nedit
> windows and the command line. Quite frankly, so do I. So I do see kind
> of an urgency to have a good KDevelop. It will attract developers which
> in turn will then contribute to it. It's that simple, the more users
> you have, the better your program will become.

I agree also. I think that is what we are trying to do.

> Since we are talking "Open Source" here, there is noone who can prevent
> people from picking up KDevelop-2 and improving on it, and that's what
> we see, that is what Falk, John and Ralf are doing currently. Unless
> there really is something like a working KDevelop-3 application,
> version 2 will be what I would like to focus on currently.

That's fine for me.

> I would also lile to try to backport some if the stuff, maybe even the
> ideas only, from version 3 to version 2, the project management could
> be a first starting point. Maybe it can be used in both versions. I
> believe KDevelop-3 is a great pool of ideas and concepts.

Yes, I hope that finally one day we will be able to merge the best from
KDevelop 2 and KDevelop 3.

Regards,
Christian.

-