nasty bug, CKDevelop::edit_widget

Ralf Nolden nolden at kde.org
Sun Mar 11 22:10:57 UTC 2001

Roland Krause wrote:

> Falk,
> that was what I had in mind.
> Replacing the edit_widget will be a larger project, but I think it
> should be done sooner than later.
>
> For a few days now I am plagued with an idea to make something like a
> generic class for files that are part of a project.
>
> We could use a generic file class to store information what files are
> in the project in memory instead of the project file. Also, we could
> actually store a lot more information for each file, cvs stuff, editor
> buffers, compile options, target and source for make dependendies and
> so on.
>
> To get us started I propose to the following... Use the existing
> TMakefile, TFile classes for a basis
>
> and so on and on.
> I think this is an important step before multiple projects.
>
> What does everybody think?

Well, I think part of it is a good idea. As a starter, you could split
up CProject with according class members and methods. That would give us
a start but I think we could do this top-down.
So first thing to do would be to get a new root instance to the
classtree so you have one root item for each sub-project (e.g. a
library). Wouldn't it be good to organize that in an XML file and
provide CProject with conversion methods so it still can load old
projects and rewrite the project file in XML ?
Then you could structure the project file much better and provide a tree
structure for Makefile.am's, according rules and files and as top the
projects.
Finally, the writing of the Makefile.am would allow even writing into
the same Makefile.am for two or more targets. How about that ?

Ralf
--
Finally, even I have to admit that being myself was the best thing
that ever could have happened to me. - Le Grand Charmeur

Ralf Nolden

The KDevelop Project
http://www.kdevelop.org

nolden at kde.org