Plugins mean extensibility (Re: Kate part in KDevelop-2 working)

Roland Krause rokrau at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 15 23:32:02 UTC 2001

Victor, folks,
I dont have a clue about "Extreme Programming" but what you say about
the existence of software sounds very plausible to me. The key is to
have feedback from users and then to put in many, many bugfixes. That
is what happened to KDevelop since version 1.4.

As much as you disagree with me about this project I would urge
everybody here to take a second look at the current stable code base.

So why cant we actually move on with the old codebase and make the
architectural changes necessary for parts and plugins happen one by
one? We would preserve a working version at all times, feedback from
users, releases together with KDE. A first step, although relatively
minor has been done already with a kate editor part.

All work on the gideon plugins would be preserved. We would move
current functionality one by one into parts, take the best ideas from
gideon parts and merge them with the current methods to have one really
nice program. KDEStudio has actually shown how to do it.

Additionally, I am convinced that we should then move to a different
development technique, i.e. working on branches, which is fairly easy
to do with some basic cvs knowledge and Bernds or Falks cvs tools.

Roland