Plugin Arch. for KDevelope 2.0

Richard Dale Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk
Mon Aug 6 22:10:09 UTC 2001

On Mon, 06 Aug 2001, you wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Aug 2001, Richard Dale wrote:

> > > The problem with this interpretation is that we already have a
> > > plugin (namely the java one) which links GPL code with a proprietary
> > > library, namely libjvm.
> > Only because of my ineptitude with autoconf :-). The java macros you can get
> > from the autoconf site always look for open source Kaffe first for 'political
> > reasons' (according to program comments). So I would certainly like to improve
> > the KDE macro that looks for Java stuff, including libjvm, so that it looks for
> > open source resources first.  I don't know what Kaffe calls its libs yet, but it
> > should be easy to have the choice to link against both.
>
> Ah good, I didn't know that vm's are compatible on that level.
Actually, 'ineptitude with autoconf' isn't a good description - I think it's
hard to write autoconf macros even with a book etc. None of the autoconf macros
I found were looking for the JVM libs, just the Kaffe equivalent of the 'java'
command, or javac I think. I must get hold of kaffe and have a good look at
getting it to work with KDE java, and the change the jvm libs macro
appropriately.

> BTW, there is an article about writing Java programs with Qt in the
> magazine freeX. German only I think...
Gosh... do they think it works? I've just wrapped Qt 3.0.0 beta 2, which looks
pretty nice in Java with SQL stuff, and better text editing etc.

-- Richard

-
unsubscribe »your-email-address«