KDevelop editor interfaces - ups

Roland Krause rokrau at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 27 17:50:43 UTC 2001

--- Cornelius Schumacher <cs at caldera.de> wrote:
> I'm the guy using nedit and I can say that it certainly isn't because
> of the
> key bindings. I switched to nedit a couple of years ago because I
> liked the
> nice rectangular selection mechanism, the clean and efficient user
> interface
> and the syntax highlighting for Verilog. But it is more than
> individual
> features, why I like nedit, it's also because I'm used to it and it
> is hard
> to break old habits :-).

I would like to second this, being a long time Nedit user and fan
myself. Another thing you have not mentioned it the ease w/ which you
can customize and add to Nedit, through shell functions and macros.

Recently I have started to look at the Nedit source code to get an idea
how things are implemented and why it is so damned efficient.

Things like the rectangular selections can be copied from Nedit and
integrated into the appropriate kate part (view or doc or whatever).
Same hold for Nedit's search and replace. The Nedit code is very
readable, but kate has a superior Qt based data structure  so
reimplementing Nedit features that one likes should not be a problem at
all.

But this is the job of the kate guys, has nothing to do w/ the KDevelop
IDE.

Unfortunately, there is another problem here. The KDE developer
community has obviously never cared too much about kwrite, they prefer
the various other editors with 20+ years codebases, so of course much
if the low level functionality in kate/kwrite is substandard.

I'd say, improve kate/kwrite, forget about the rest.

Roland

=====
--
Roland Krause
In the garage of life there are mechanics and