KDevelop editor interfaces - ups

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Sat Apr 28 07:24:08 UTC 2001

On Friday 27 April 2001 16:57, you wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Apr 2001, Cornelius Schumachery wrote:
> >
> > I'm the guy using nedit and I can say that it certainly isn't
> > because of the key bindings. I switched to nedit a couple of years
> > ago because I liked the nice rectangular selection mechanism, the
> > clean and efficient user interface and the syntax highlighting for
> > Verilog. But it is more than individual features, why I like nedit,
> > it's also because I'm used to it and it is hard to break old habits
> > :-).
> >
> > By adding a nedit part to the editor framework of Matthias I
> > suddenly was able to use the kdevelop class browser with my
> > favourite editor. I didn't have to change any of my personal
> > preferences, just got an additional benefit. That's the great thing
> > about a powerful component technology.
>
> Huh... Well, we'll convert you in the end (and break your habits), it
> is only a matter of time I feel, ...you will be assimulated :-). You
> can simply define Verilog syntax highlighting for kwrite in XML now,
> I can't see implementing rectangular text selection being a problem
> in kwrite/kate too, and all well written standard KDE apps should
> already have clean efficient interfaces...

As said before it's not about individual features. Those that I
mentioned were only the initial reason to switch to nedit. It has a lot
more features currently not present in kate. Don't forget that nedit is
under development for many years. But that's not the point. I might be
converted to kate someday (who knows :-), but I would like to have the
choice to use kdevelop with another editor be it because of special
features or because of personal preferences. As the HEAD kdevelop
framework provides that, we should not make a step back by implementing
something, which prevents that. But I think we are already on the right
track and will find a solution which fits all the different needs.

-