KDevelop editor interfaces - ups

Bernd Gehrmann bernd at physik.hu-berlin.de
Thu Apr 26 21:24:19 UTC 2001

On Tue, 24 Apr 2001, Matthias Hoelzer-Kluepfel wrote:
> My interface would allow to do that, but you could also make use of an editor
> like Emacs that does not allow to access the views.
>
> Think of it like doing the most basic stuff first, and adding the bells and
> whistles where it is appropriate.

Okay, I concluded from the kwrite_part in cvs (which uses QTabWidget
internally) that the editor-internal widgets are necessarily treated
differently from those 'outside'.
But maybe I should just shut up and wait from comes out of this :-)

> BTW: I like that screenshot a lot. How did you implement the
> emacs-integration?

Well, I didn't like it because it makes it difficult to look at
editor and documentation at the same time...
Anyway, for this I started a little proxy program from inside emacs
and installed a process filter on it. Then the proxy can send commands
to stdout which go to emacs via a pipe, and read results back from
stdin. The proxy program itself had a dcop interface with which it
could receive requests from the IDE.

Unfortunately this code has become victim of configures famous line
trap 'rm -fr conftest* confdefs* core ...'. But I think the lisp
code in eider (the gnome ide written in four different languages ;-)
is much more powerful anyway, in that it allows real bidirectional
communication without deadlocks. And of course, there's also the
focus problem with embedding in X11...

Bernd.

-
unsubscribe »your-email-address«