KDevelop editor interfaces - ups

Matthias Hoelzer-Kluepfel mhk at caldera.de
Fri Apr 27 10:32:48 UTC 2001

Am Donnerstag 26 April 2001 23:24 schrieb Bernd Gehrmann:
> On Tue, 24 Apr 2001, Matthias Hoelzer-Kluepfel wrote:
> > My interface would allow to do that, but you could also make use of an
> > editor like Emacs that does not allow to access the views.
> >
> > Think of it like doing the most basic stuff first, and adding the bells
> > and whistles where it is appropriate.
>
> Okay, I concluded from the kwrite_part in cvs (which uses QTabWidget
> internally) that the editor-internal widgets are necessarily treated
> differently from those 'outside'.

This is just for the moment. It uses a QTabWidget, as this was the easiest
thing to do. I would like to have a generic ViewManager, but it is a bit
harder to do than I first thought :)

> > BTW: I like that screenshot a lot. How did you implement the
> > emacs-integration?

> Anyway, for this I started a little proxy program from inside emacs
> and installed a process filter on it. Then the proxy can send commands
> to stdout which go to emacs via a pipe, and read results back from
> stdin. The proxy program itself had a dcop interface with which it
> could receive requests from the IDE.
>
> Unfortunately this code has become victim of configures famous line
> trap 'rm -fr conftest* confdefs* core ...'.

Argl. Well, I usually do a "make cvs-clean" before commiting stuff :-)

> But I think the lisp
> code in eider (the gnome ide written in four different languages ;-)
> is much more powerful anyway, in that it allows real bidirectional
> communication without deadlocks. And of course, there's also the
> focus problem with embedding in X11...

Ok, that might be worth to look at. But then, I don't like emacs too much
anyway.

Bye,
Matthias.

-