Relative performance of Darren Hiebert's ctags parser and KDevelop

Roland Krause rokrau at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 14 02:07:34 UTC 2001

Richard,

--- Richard Dale <Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> I've spent today porting the ctags-3.2 parser to KDEStudio, and it's
> nearly
> there now.

To KDEStudio? Are you sure?

> The parser they were using was a bit old and didn't have
> proper java
> support, so it seemed worth spending a couple of days to add java.
>
> I'm now familiar with the format of the tags file. You give your
> editor a
> name, and ctags returns a suitable source file name and regular
> expression to
> find the line corresponding to the tag in the source file.

Yes that's essentially how it works. I.e. actually its the other way
around. You create a searchable database, i.e. a hashtable from the
ctags file. Then your editor gives you a "tag" to search for and you
look it up in the database and return the file and line.
I've looked into nedit's source code where this is done. Nedit uses
it's own hashtable code but we have QGDict.

> So if your
> editor
> doesn't support regular expressions (and kwrite doesn't), I'm not
> sure what
> you'll be able to do with the file.

Implement it, that's what I am currently doing, I've said it before,
but I should have it on Moday, assumed that it rains a lot here :-)

> The timings for KDEStudio to start up might not have just been the
> parser - I
> was assuming that they were, but it could be QDom insertions or
> whatever.

Btw., timings, we've become a whole lot slower through "something". I
dont know what this is, but it takes about a half a minute to a minute
after the class parsing (according to the status bar) before KDevelop
responds to user input.
Maybe Ralf or Falk know what this is about?

> would profile the apps to find out, but as KDevelop seems at least as
> fast,
> there doesn't appear to be any problem which needs solving.

If it aint crashed dont fsck it :-)
Roland

=====
--
Roland Krause
In the garage of life there are mechanics and