Relative performance of Darren Hiebert's ctags parser and KDevelop

Richard Dale Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk
Fri Apr 13 21:26:59 UTC 2001

I've spent today porting the ctags-3.2 parser to KDEStudio, and it's nearly
there now. The parser they were using was a bit old and didn't have proper java
support, so it seemed worth spending a couple of days to add java.

I'm now familiar with the format of the tags file. You give your editor a
name, and ctags returns a suitable source file name and regular expression to
find the line corresponding to the tag in the source file. So if your editor
doesn't support regular expressions (and kwrite doesn't), I'm not sure what
you'll be able to do with the file.

The timings for KDEStudio to start up might not have just been the parser - I
was assuming that they were, but it could be QDom insertions or whatever. I
would profile the apps to find out, but as KDevelop seems at least as fast,
there doesn't appear to be any problem which needs solving.

-- Richard

On Fri, 13 Apr 2001, you wrote:
> Richard,
>
> Kdevelop-2 has the possibility to create a tags file using Darren's
> ctags. Just hit Project->Make ctags (get the latest cvs since there was
> a stale path in there). It'll take about 2.5 seconds for the kdevelop
> project to do so on my Solaris box (old Ultra 60).
>
> Roland

-
unsubscribe »your-email-address«