[Fwd: A new IDE for a new milleneum :-)]

Christian Couder chcouder at club-internet.fr
Sun Apr 1 11:22:07 UTC 2001

Bernd Gehrmann a écrit :

> >I mean would it be possible to separate the core application from the
> >document and view management ?
>
> >So that for example we could use the docviewmanager from KDevelop 2 ?
>
> I don't know about anything in KDevelop 2. What I call 'core application'
> is the class Core which a) is the first class instantiated when
> KDevelop is started and bootstraps the parts and the toplevel window.
> b) an implementation of the KDevCore interface. The KDevCore interface
> consists of the editor and documentation viewer management (which is
> tightly coupled with window management issues) and some other methods
> which are not really categorizable. In theory, one could split these
> in different classes, but since the buffer/view semantics are very
> much integrated in the Core class, that would not be of much use.

That's a pity to have the buffer/view semantics very much integrated in
the Core class, see below.

> >You know, I think people will keep asking for being able to use other
> >editors until we get something like this that make it possible to
> >separate the editor/documentation from the core application.
>
> If those people would write those 'other editors', it would be a
> lot easier to discuss such issues :-)

Those 'other editors' already exists : KWrite/Kant/Kate, Emacs or
XEmacs, vim or KVim, KFTE and so on.

> In practice, you haven't won
> anything if you 'just' embed an editor with a primitive interface.

Why do you think it would be only a "primitive interface" ?

> The 'I' in IDE stands for 'integrated', and that has a reason.

If people decided to make KDE 2 a desktop with components that also has
a reason...
If people decided to make KDevelop 3 with components that also has a
reason...

Do you mean that because KDE 2 is "integrated" it cannot have components
?

In fact you say:

" So what do I have now? First, a modular lego-like framework for an IDE
that could be used to build a C++ IDE, a Python IDE, or even a web
development platform (no, I'm not suggesting the latter ;-) "

But your supposedly "modular" and "lego-like" framework seems not to be
modular for the modularity people really want !

> If the
> embedded editor can't tell you about a context in which a popup menu has
> been activated, you lose many of the file and documentation window
> features. If the embedded editor isn't able to assign some kind of tags
> to a line (in order to properly handle breakpoints and bookmarks)
> you lose the debugger and other useful features. If the editor document
> isn't efficiently available as a string, you can't implement code
> completion. And so on.

Please, it's not because your app doesn't has this, that it cannot or
shouldn't be done.

The goal of KDevelop 3 was to make a fully modular IDE, if we don't have
some kind of editor modularity we loose a big part of the modularity
gain, and anyway we will have to implement the editor modularity latter.

If we make your IDE editor-modular we can have both a component made
from your editor-view management and a component made from Falks
editor-view management and eventually latter other editor-view
management using XEmacs or KVim as the editor and the user will probably
be more satisfied.

Bye,
Christian.

-