[Fwd: A new IDE for a new milleneum :-)]

Bernd Gehrmann bernd at physik.hu-berlin.de
Sun Apr 1 09:58:10 UTC 2001

>I mean would it be possible to separate the core application from the
>document and view management ?

>So that for example we could use the docviewmanager from KDevelop 2 ?

I don't know about anything in KDevelop 2. What I call 'core application'
is the class Core which a) is the first class instantiated when
KDevelop is started and bootstraps the parts and the toplevel window.
b) an implementation of the KDevCore interface. The KDevCore interface
consists of the editor and documentation viewer management (which is
tightly coupled with window management issues) and some other methods
which are not really categorizable. In theory, one could split these
in different classes, but since the buffer/view semantics are very
much integrated in the Core class, that would not be of much use.

>You know, I think people will keep asking for being able to use other
>editors until we get something like this that make it possible to
>separate the editor/documentation from the core application.

If those people would write those 'other editors', it would be a
lot easier to discuss such issues :-) In practice, you haven't won
anything if you 'just' embed an editor with a primitive interface.
The 'I' in IDE stands for 'integrated', and that has a reason. If the
embedded editor can't tell you about a context in which a popup menu has
been activated, you lose many of the file and documentation window
features. If the embedded editor isn't able to assign some kind of tags
to a line (in order to properly handle breakpoints and bookmarks)
you lose the debugger and other useful features. If the editor document
isn't efficiently available as a string, you can't implement code
completion. And so on.

Bernd.

-
unsubscribe »your-email-address«