Problems with RH 7.0

Martin Piskernig martin.piskernig at stuwo.at
Mon Nov 20 20:15:25 UTC 2000

On Montag, 20. November 2000 21:22, you wrote:
> sorry I nearly couldn't do anything since I started at IBM but I'm really
> busy there ( and will be in the future, I'm afraid).

Same with me here since I work on university.

> At least I found the
> time to get the po files ready, but I recognized a problem with RH 7 when
> I did. The problem is that they have a new g++ PLUS a compatibility egcs++.

egcs == kgcc?
The gcc is really fscked up, a binary-incompatible gcc 2.96 (which is not an
official release of the GCC team). glibc is also a non-standard developer's
release. And every rh7 package is compiled against it *argl*
Not even the kernel will compile with the shit rh7 gcc. I _have_ to use it at
work so I made a symlink from kgcc to gcc, which worked quite good up to
now. But the cleanest solution would be to take a gcc 2.95.2 RPM (not that I
did find one which works...).
I understand your anger because KDE2 RPMs crash all the time, kmail never
worked and the whole distribution looks quite buggy and not-quite-ready.
But don't try to compile KDE2 from CVS on your own. DCOP etc. is known
not to work with the gcc.
Advice: Take a better distribution (not telling what "better" means ;-) like
Debian, Mandrake, Slackware, ... .
--
Martin Piskernig
<mpiskernig at kdevelop.org>      ICQ: 24015591