KDevelop 1.3 release

Richard Moore rich at ipso-facto.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Nov 20 18:14:26 UTC 2000

John Birch wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We _really_ need to port 1.3 to kde2.0. I've been looking at this and have a
> script that does a lot of the mechanical work from kde1 to kde2. But there's
> a lot of work left.

I'm willing to help with this - I've written a number of 1.x->2.x
ports and getting a basic version running is usually a fairly
simple task. KDevelop is a pretty complex app, but I think porting
it can be done in a couple of weeks.

> I would be willing to start this asap _after_ we release 1.3. Please lets get
> 1.3 out _then_ port it. Otherwise it's just messy and 1.3 is really close!

Definitely - though it is possible that some code cleanups could
start before then. For example using QString and const QString &
where the code uses char * at the moment. This works fine on both
1.x and 2.0, wheras the char *'s would be a bad idea under 2.0.

> Remote debugging: Okay, it's not difficult, but I haven't any test bed for it
> so I left it alone. I talked to a few developers who wanted it but nothing
> eventuated, not even an offer to test :( So please go ahead.
>
> QT2.2 only version: Well, that might be a bit more work? Not thought about
> that, but interesting. This is probably a good idea. If I was a commercial
> company choosing to invest time into an IDE I'd pick one that works across
> platforms, over a linux only system.

Much of this can be handled quite trivially using some macros,
though there would also be some additional work. I think Designer
is probably worth checking out as it does the same thing in the
other direction - a Qt app that uses macros to support KDE.

Rich.

     Richard Moore		rich at ipso-facto.freeserve.co.uk
http://www.macromedia.com/	rjmoore at macromedia.com
http://developer.kde.org/	rich at kde.org