KDevelop 1.3 release

John Birch jbb at kdevelop.org
Tue Nov 21 07:53:27 UTC 2000

On Mon, 20 Nov 2000 18:14, Richard Moore wrote:
> John Birch wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > We _really_ need to port 1.3 to kde2.0. I've been looking at this and
> > have a script that does a lot of the mechanical work from kde1 to kde2.
> > But there's a lot of work left.
>
> I'm willing to help with this - I've written a number of 1.x->2.x
> ports and getting a basic version running is usually a fairly
> simple task. KDevelop is a pretty complex app, but I think porting
> it can be done in a couple of weeks.
Yup - it's just work - not too much thinking to do...

> > I would be willing to start this asap _after_ we release 1.3. Please lets
> > get 1.3 out _then_ port it. Otherwise it's just messy and 1.3 is really
> > close!
>
> Definitely - though it is possible that some code cleanups could
> start before then. For example using QString and const QString &
> where the code uses char * at the moment. This works fine on both
> 1.x and 2.0, wheras the char *'s would be a bad idea under 2.0.

Clean-ups - Seductive, isn't it :-) I recommend we don't do this. It'll just
delay 1.3. Let's just test and release then port...

> > Remote debugging: Okay, it's not difficult, but I haven't any test bed
> > for it so I left it alone. I talked to a few developers who wanted it but
> > nothing eventuated, not even an offer to test :( So please go ahead.
> >
> > QT2.2 only version: Well, that might be a bit more work? Not thought
> > about that, but interesting. This is probably a good idea. If I was a
> > commercial company choosing to invest time into an IDE I'd pick one that
> > works across platforms, over a linux only system.
>
> Much of this can be handled quite trivially using some macros,
> though there would also be some additional work. I think Designer
> is probably worth checking out as it does the same thing in the
> other direction - a Qt app that uses macros to support KDE.

You're talking the 1.3 port, I assume? It'll be difficult to macro KParts for
instance. And I suspect this wouldn't be easy even for the 1.3port. Please
prove me wrong :-)

--
Regards,

jbb