kwrite - please read

Christian Couder christian at alcove.fr
Tue May 16 07:47:19 UTC 2000

John Birch wrote:

> On Tue, 16 May 2000, you wrote:
> > Bernd Gehrmann wrote:
> > > If there's something wrong in kwrite, the right place to fix it
> > > is in kwrite of course. There is no point in forking off a
> > > different version.
> >
> > I don't think that all people will love it, if we change kwrite's
> > behaviour down in the kdelibs in a way that it is like in kdevelop-1.2.

There are already some significant implementation differences between KWrite and
the KWrite code in KDevelop.
But we can perhaps come to an agreement, or find a way to do what we want with
their implementation.

> > Is there a chance to override behaviour of kwrite (e.g. what happens on
> > a doubleclick on a word) in an inheriting application?) If that isn't
> > possible, we should keep our own version...
>
> I think you'll find the current kwrite works as you want it. Give it a whirl
> and see.

It seems that there are some bugs though. For example the line numbers are not
refreshed if you use the right scrolbar.
And they didn't implement the bookmarks (and the breakpoints) in the textline
like we did :-(

> But Bernd's right. If there's problems in kwrite, then that's the ideal place
> for them to be fixed, rather than forking it.

I agree, but we need to agree with them about what the problems are and what the
implementation should be.

By the way I sent a message to Martin Konold (konold at kde.org) to be suscribed to
kde-core-devel with write access, but I have no answer and I am not subscribed
yet.

> It'll be some work, trying to get an editor part into kdevelop, but adding to
> and maintaining our own local kwrite was a lot of work the last time that I'd
> rather not repeat. And when(if?) there is a kvim part then we _really_ start
> to win if we sucessfully do this work now.

Then we will need to find someone working on a KEmacs part :-)

Bye,

Christian COUDER christian at alcove.fr
Ingénieur Informatique Libre
Alcôve - http://www.alcove.fr/