kwrite - please read

John Birch jbb at kdevelop.de
Mon May 15 21:22:03 UTC 2000

On Tue, 16 May 2000, you wrote:
> Bernd Gehrmann wrote:
> > If there's something wrong in kwrite, the right place to fix it
> > is in kwrite of course. There is no point in forking off a
> > different version.
>
> I don't think that all people will love it, if we change kwrite's
> behaviour down in the kdelibs in a way that it is like in kdevelop-1.2.
>
> Is there a chance to override behaviour of kwrite (e.g. what happens on
> a doubleclick on a word) in an inheriting application?) If that isn't
> possible, we should keep our own version...

I think you'll find the current kwrite works as you want it. Give it a whirl
and see.

But Bernd's right. If there's problems in kwrite, then that's the ideal place
for them to be fixed, rather than forking it.

It'll be some work, trying to get an editor part into kdevelop, but adding to
and maintaining our own local kwrite was a lot of work the last time that I'd
rather not repeat. And when(if?) there is a kvim part then we _really_ start
to win if we sucessfully do this work now.

jbb