Kdevelop base design (was Re: file views)

Richard Dale Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk
Fri Jul 7 10:15:31 UTC 2000

On Thu, 06 Jul 2000, John Birch wrote:
> I've also wondered at the use of MDI (Hi Falk :-). You're going to hate me,
> but I've been thinking that dockviews really makes MDI redundent. I think the
> MDI view adds another level of user confusion, but I can change my mind :-))
> I'm pretty sure the user just wants to see one or more views into one or more
> files at the same time.
I agree - I found the MDI windows confusing, like having a window manager
within a window manager. But a good way of switching windows is needed. I
found the horizontal button list to switch windows worked well, until you have
more than about 10 windows. It is then no longer possible to read the filenames
without tool tips, as the buttons are too narrow. I expected the view to
acquire a horizontal scroll bar when the buttons had reached a minimum width
and no new ones could be fitted in (is it possible to have scrolling views of
buttons in Qt/KDE?). Would the buttons be better placed in a vertical line
rather than horizontally?

-- Richard