Kdevelop base design (was Re: file views)

Falk Brettschneider gigafalk at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 6 13:12:35 UTC 2000

John Birch wrote:

> I've also wondered at the use of MDI (Hi Falk :-).

Hi!

> You're going to hate me,

No :-)

> but I've been thinking that dockviews really makes MDI redundent. I think the
> MDI view adds another level of user confusion, but I can change my mind :-))
> I'm pretty sure the user just wants to see one or more views into one or more
> files at the same time.

Dockviews and MDI are different pair of shoes. In case of dock mode, dockwidget
views principially behave like QSplitter/QTabWidget widgets....there's no
overlapping, in contrast QextMDI views basically behave like toplevel widgets
then.
Both of them have got pros and cons. AFAIK most developers of KDevelop prefer a
GUI design like QextMDI provides.

Ciao,
  F at lk

P.S.: Although I could also imagine to add a mode of dockwidget-like behaviour
of MDI views in QextMDI. One could skip KDockMainWindow in general... or you
integrate QextMDI in the Dockwidget class set and skip QextMDI, both approaches
would mean much work.

 "I'm close to you and take your hand / You trust in me but I wouldn't feel safe /
  a vampire's heart can't abstain from loving you to death"
  (Dreadful Shadows, "Beyond the maze", 1998)