debugging toolbar position

jbb jbb at ihug.co.nz
Thu Jan 20 19:31:40 UTC 2000

On Fri, 21 Jan 2000, you wrote:
> Benoit Cerrina wrote:
> >
> > Hi jbb,
> > while working on the docview problem, I noticed that you had put the debugging
> > toolbar in the browser toolbar while there was plenty of place in the main one,
> > was this on purpose?
>
> Hi Benoit,
>
> I will take care for the shortcuts the next days. John, can you use the
> default "Stop" button already present for all tools as stop for the
> debugger, too ?

Okay.
(Hmmm deja vu anyone :-)

> I think to shorten the main toolbar a bit we could move the What's this
> button to the browser toolbar. That contains the help buttons as well,
> so that would fit best, I think. Also I would like only a few (4 max.:
> Start debugger,
> Step into,
> Step over,
> STep out would be best, I think )buttons in the main bar and create a
> "Debug" menu separately with all
> commands. Is that OK ?

"Start debugger" ? This is "Run"? or do you want the current "Start debugger"
button moved. That would require

Start debugger
Run
Step over
Step into
Interrupt (rather than "step out". I don't use step out very often i.e not very
useful)

(5 buttons :-)

Here's the full "Debug" menu.

Start
Start (other)         -> Examine core file
                              -> Debug other executable
                              -> Attach to process
                              -> Debug with arguments
Run
Run to cursor
Step over
Step over instruction
Step into
Step into instruction
Step out of
Viewers
Interrupt execution
Stop

What about debugger options?

Using the external debugger disables all but the Start.

Suggestions/comments anyone?

I'll probably split the Viewer for kde2 (not for this release!)
Viewers              -> Memory
                            -> Disassemble
                            -> Registers
                            -> Libraries