Yippie

Bernd Gehrmann bernd at physik.hu-berlin.de
Tue Feb 1 21:09:44 UTC 2000

On Tue, 01 Feb 2000 W. Tasin wrote:

>> But I think KDE 2 is no problem. When KDE 2 is released, everybody
>> will use potato and have his documentation installed in /usr/share/doc
>> which is the same as configure gives. The only difference then may
>> be kde_confdir, but AFAIK kdevelop is the only application which
>> has an rc file there. Mmh, why?
>
>Hmmm... sorry I haven't understood this...
>on my sytem I have e. g. kfingerrc, karchierc right in this directory...
>(for KDE 1.x and KDE 2.x)
>Or do think we should make global-preset-values as hardcoded values in
>the source-code?

Hmm, right. I should write mails about KDE only on systems which
have KDE fully installed...

Anyway, I think the configuration hierarchy of KDE 1 lacks one
level: the rc file which is distributed with a package is the
same one as the system administrator edits for making local
customizations. So, whenever a new version of a package is in-
stalled with a modified rc file, the administrator has to resolve
modifications. It would be smarter if the 'vendor defaults' (those
which come the package) were installed read-only and local
customizations could be done in /etc/*rc.

And the config system lacks a good handling of lists. For example,
it would be nice if a package could come with a list of documentation
directories for the DocTreeView. The administrator could add/remove
some of them, and then the user could make his own modifications.
The current solution (in the HEAD branch) sucks somehow.

... so, the new slink packages for kdbg and kdoc are in incoming now...

Bernd.