kmail fussing, finally crashing

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Jan 2 21:55:36 GMT 2022

On Sonntag, 2. Januar 2022 21:00:41 CET gene heskett wrote:
> On Sunday, January 2, 2022 12:31:25 PM EST Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> [...] but didn't stop the daemon
> from spewing this every 5 seconds: (because orca has been removed)
> =====
> Jan  2 14:52:29 coyote brltty[1260]: /lib/brltty/libbrlttyxa2.so: cannot
> Jan  2 14:52:29 coyote brltty[1260]: cannot load screen driver: /lib/brltty/
> libbrlttyxa2.so
> Jan  2 14:52:29 coyote brltty[1260]: screen driver not loadable: a2
> =====
> And orca is not about to be re-installed, so please tell me how to shut that
> up.

I have no idea and this has nothing to do with KMail. The messages seem to be
logged by brltty which is a "refreshable braille display driver for Linux/
Unix" according to its manual page. Maybe you have enabled this somehow, e.g.
when you reinstalled your system. I'd look for anything related to "braille"
or "accessibility" in your system configuration.

> > In fact, normal KMail users should ignore any of those messages unless a
> > developer specifically asks for them. If there is something important that
> > the users need to do or know about, then KMail will (hopefully) show a
> > comprehensible notification.
>
> Ignore a 40 meg a week log file?

I was talking about messages logged by KMail.

> I'd much rather remove the source of all that spew.

Well, then remove it, but note that those messages are not produced by KMail
or anything else from KDE.