Thoughts on Akonadi confusion

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Thu Feb 24 15:45:39 GMT 2022

Hi Ian.

Sorry to read about your recent mess with Akonadi. For me things
basically work, with pauses for over half a minute or more during POP3
mail retrieval and other oddities, but it basically works. I still think
Akonadi needs stability and performance work much more than feature
work, but as I am neither developing on it myself or paying for the
development, I can only hope that eventually someone who develops on
Akonadi/KDEPIM sees a similar priority. In the current state Akonadi IMO
is one of the most problematic parts within Plasma desktop and KDE
application ecosystem.

Ian Douglas - 24.02.22, 13:15:49 CET:
> It seems like Akonadi has an internal list of "possible mail folders",
> probably with
> /home/ian/.local/share/.local-mail.directory/
> /home/ian/.local/share/local-mail/
>
> And then on startup, asks the OS if they exist. Depending on which the
> drive returns first, Akonadi then decides that is where the mail is.

The maildir resource defines the maildir folder to use. Like in:

% grep Path .config/akonadi_maildir_resource_0rc
Path[$e]=$HOME/.local/share/local-mail

I just have one of them. So one folder. Whereby there also is

~/.local/share/.local-mail.directory/

but that is due to the way Akonadi maildir resource implements maildir
access.

It could be that you have others like "akonadi_maildir_resource_1rc" or
some other number. I never tried what would happen with more than one
maildir resource. In principle I think it should work. Practically? Not
so sure. Maybe an Akonadi/KDEPIM developer can clarify.

Best,
--
Martin