Thoughts on Akonadi confusion

Ian Douglas ian at zti.co.za
Thu Feb 24 12:15:49 GMT 2022

Hi

After 3 or 4 bouts of Akonadi messing up my mail, I think I may be starting to
understand what is happening.

This is speculation, I have not stared at the source code, but it SEEMS
likely.

I have mail in several folders, set up by Akonadi. There may be another with
very old mail somewhere that I have not found.

/home/ian/.local/share/.local-mail.directory/
/home/ian/.maildir/
/home/ian/.local/share/akonadi/file_db_data
/home/ian/.local/share/akonadi/file_lost+found
/home/ian/.local/share/local-mail/

It seems like Akonadi has an internal list of "possible mail folders",
probably with
/home/ian/.local/share/.local-mail.directory/
/home/ian/.local/share/local-mail/

And then on startup, asks the OS if they exist. Depending on which the drive
returns first, Akonadi then decides that is where the mail is.

However, this may not be the same as last time.
Akonadi then uses it's current internal list of indexes, linking mail accounts
to folders under this directory (one of the two above). But this structure
does not match the structure that the index was based on, and so what used to
be an Inbox is now suddenly labelled as an outbox on a different account.

I'm guessing that Akonadi may then try to repopulate the folders from its
cache folders.

The net result is a complete mess. Especially if filters kick in as it is
moving mails around.

What to do?
Do not assume first found folder is where the mail is. Check all. If more than
one, perhaps ask to synchronise? BUT DO NOT PROCEED IF SUBFOLDER IS MISSING in
target dir ... or maybe we need a better process for this that can NOT screw
things up.

Or am I completely misunderstanding what is happening?

Thanks, Ian

--
ian at zti.co.za http://www.zti.co.za
Zero 2 Infinity - The net.works