imap troubles

gene heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Wed Apr 13 13:05:55 BST 2022

On Wednesday, 13 April 2022 03:04:07 EDT Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Dienstag, 12. April 2022 23:30:26 CEST gene heskett wrote:
> > And that Ingo, will have me pestering the tde list to make tde
> > installable on bullseye. There I had fetchmail pulling from imap,
> > handing it off to procmail, which filtered the incoming against
> > clamscan and spamassassin, dumping survivors into /var/mail,
> > inotifywait then told old kmail to go get the mail and sort it, so
> > kmail had nothing to do with mail fetching, so it didn't freeze up
> > for 30 secs at a time. Everything else was a background process that
> > didn't impinge on kmails performance for even a half second.  Sounds
> > complex, but it Just Worked, for months at a time.  And I didn't
> > have to waste 3 days a week making it work like I'm doing now.
>
> Well, I have already told you that I'm doing a similar thing for a POP
> account with the difference that I'm using a local dovecot for getting
> the mail, that was fetched by fetchmail, into KMail. That works
> flawlessly for me for over 3 years now on the rolling openSUSE
> Tumbleweed. (I shutdown my computer every night, so I'm basically
> rebooting every day.) And it's certainly less brittle than your
> approach because my approach relies on standard tools like fetchmail
> and dovecot (which just took me a couple of hours to set up) and a
> standard protocol like IMAP instead of relying on internals of Akonadi
> or KMail. KMail never liked it very much that other programs wrote
> directly to its internal folders and with Akonadi that didn't change
> (or, sadly, got worse).

This kmail has well proved it doesn't like that. I used its import
feature to acquire the old ~/gene/Mail, recovered from amanda backups,
some of which dates back to 2002, that Mail tree still exists, and kmail
imported it, but then something crashed and I rebooted it. Hasn't been
seen by this kmail since. That was Dec 2nd. Can I import it again and
make it stick over a reboot?  If so, how?

I had a fetchmail->procmail setup that worked for over a decade so kmail
only had to fetch new mail from /var/mail, which it could do in
milliseconds with a background dbus command, but I've been unable to make
this kmail recognise those mailfiles, ever.  Why?

> Regards,
> Ingo

Take care & stay well, Ingo.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.