Local IMAP server (was: Re: imap troubles)

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Wed Apr 13 18:38:46 BST 2022

Hi Ingo, hi everyone.

Ingo Klöcker - 13.04.22, 09:04:07 CEST:
> Well, I have already told you that I'm doing a similar thing for a POP
> account with the difference that I'm using a local dovecot for
> getting the mail, that was fetched by fetchmail, into KMail. That
> works flawlessly for me for over 3 years now on the rolling openSUSE
> Tumbleweed. (I shutdown my computer every night, so I'm basically
> rebooting every day.) And it's certainly less brittle than your
> approach because my approach relies on standard tools like fetchmail
> and dovecot (which just took me a couple of hours to set up) and a
> standard protocol like IMAP instead of relying on internals of
> Akonadi or KMail. KMail never liked it very much that other programs
> wrote directly to its internal folders and with Akonadi that didn't
> change (or, sadly, got worse).

Maybe… that is the way to go for me. I have read about this approach
often enough… and always dismissed it… however, the more I think about
it the more sense it makes.

As I'd not like to keep more than a few weeks of mails on my mail server
for security reasons, I'd like to download via POP3 and filter locally.
Or I filter via Sieve on the server and use a kind of imap sync tool that
is able to handle deletion of mails older than a few weeks on the server
without deleting them locally.

But maybe that is the way to go. It is some work to set it up with
filtering. However… then I can switch mail clients as I please, probably
use notmuch on the mail and things like that. And maybe… even develop a
QML based GUI mail client for notmuch. Well, I can dream at least.

Maybe I find some how-to locally. I am certainly capable of figuring out
myself, having configured my own mail server with Postfix, Dovecot, rspamd
anyway, however, with a little how-to I may be able to achieve the
desired result more quickly.

Thank you,
--
Martin