imap troubles

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Wed Apr 13 08:04:07 BST 2022

On Dienstag, 12. April 2022 23:30:26 CEST gene heskett wrote:
> And that Ingo, will have me pestering the tde list to make tde
> installable on bullseye. There I had fetchmail pulling from imap, handing
> it off to procmail, which filtered the incoming against clamscan and
> spamassassin, dumping survivors into /var/mail, inotifywait then told old
> kmail to go get the mail and sort it, so kmail had nothing to do with
> mail fetching, so it didn't freeze up for 30 secs at a time. Everything
> else was a background process that didn't impinge on kmails performance
> for even a half second.  Sounds complex, but it Just Worked, for months
> at a time.  And I didn't have to waste 3 days a week making it work like
> I'm doing now.

Well, I have already told you that I'm doing a similar thing for a POP account
with the difference that I'm using a local dovecot for getting the mail, that
was fetched by fetchmail, into KMail. That works flawlessly for me for over 3
years now on the rolling openSUSE Tumbleweed. (I shutdown my computer every
night, so I'm basically rebooting every day.) And it's certainly less brittle
than your approach because my approach relies on standard tools like fetchmail
and dovecot (which just took me a couple of hours to set up) and a standard
protocol like IMAP instead of relying on internals of Akonadi or KMail. KMail
never liked it very much that other programs wrote directly to its internal
folders and with Akonadi that didn't change (or, sadly, got worse).