imap troubles

gene heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Tue Apr 12 22:30:26 BST 2022

On Tuesday, 12 April 2022 15:22:54 EDT Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Dienstag, 12. April 2022 13:36:36 CEST gene heskett wrote:
> > On Tuesday, 12 April 2022 03:04:36 EDT Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > > gene heskett - 12.04.22, 03:55:29 CEST:

> > > Does
> > >
> > > https://techbase.kde.org/KDE_PIM/Akonadi/Debug_IMAP
> > >
> > > help?
> > >
> > > Additionally I'd start KMail from the console or look what is
> > > happening in ~/.xsession-errors or /var/log/user.log depending on
> > > whether your distributions uses Systemd or not.
> > >
> > > Also there are some other Akonadi related log files beneath
> > > ~/.local/
> > > share/akonadi and sub directories of it.
> >
> > akonadi.error attached
>
> Most log messages are informational. There are a few warnings and one
> critical error:
> 2022-04-11T17:45:57 [CRITICAL] org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Cannot
> connect to agent instance with identifier
> 'akonadi_maildir_resource_0', error message: ''
>
> But this one is for a local mail account (Local Folders?) and not an
> IMAP account.
>
> But one of the warnings look suspicious:
> 2022-04-11T17:45:56 [WARN ] org.kde.pim.akonadicontrol:
> "AgentManager::agentInstanceSynchronize"  Agent instance
> "akonadi_imap_resource_1"  has no resource interface!

But a reboot seems to have fixed it, but for how long? 24 hours of uptime
since installing bullseye, kept up to date daily, is beginning to be the
long norm, for hardware that ran stretch 3 or 4 months at a time.

> Unfortunately, I have no idea what that means, what could cause this
> problem or how to fix it.
>
> Regards,
> Ingo

And that Ingo, will have me pestering the tde list to make tde
installable on bullseye. There I had fetchmail pulling from imap, handing
it off to procmail, which filtered the incoming against clamscan and
spamassassin, dumping survivors into /var/mail, inotifywait then told old
kmail to go get the mail and sort it, so kmail had nothing to do with
mail fetching, so it didn't freeze up for 30 secs at a time. Everything
else was a background process that didn't impinge on kmails performance
for even a half second.  Sounds complex, but it Just Worked, for months
at a time.  And I didn't have to waste 3 days a week making it work like
I'm doing now.

I'll figure out something eventually.

Take care and stay well Ingo.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.