imap troubles

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Wed Apr 13 07:51:53 BST 2022

On Dienstag, 12. April 2022 23:09:40 CEST gene heskett wrote:
> My imap account at shentel.net, which is an alias link to mail2world, who
> is useing dovecot as the mail server, petered out and had zero incoming
> after about 13:00 yesterday. Logged in with webmail, no new stuff for 50
> some lists I'm subbed to. Then about 17:00, akonadi quit scanning for new
> msgs every 5 minutes, I called shentel about 20:00 who claimed nothing
> had been changed there. I hadn't changed anything, but when I pulled the
> kmail config open, and checked receiving, and clicked on get what the
> server supports, its switched my working config from ssl on port 995, to
> STARTTLS on 143.  And that worked

Yeah. I had this too with some IMAP account not too long ago. Sometimes first
level support doesn't even know that something was changed by the technical
support.

> but I had to enter my passwd at shentel
> prior to every refresh. I did that for several hours and wound up
> rebooting, at which point kwalletd5 apparently decided to use the new
> settings, or something like that and which I'd call a bug in kwalletd5,
> as it should use whatever kmail hands it without forcing a reboot, and
> its working, sorta, since. Traffic is about 10% of what it normally is.

After installing updates it is often required to restart some services/daemons
or even to reboot because libraries used by running services or even the
kernel have changed. If a reboot fixed the problem with kwallet, then the
problems you had before the reboot could have been caused by an incompatible
library. That's hardly a problem of kwallet.

zypper (the package manager of openSUSE) tells me after an update which
processes are using outdated/replaced libraries and which therefore should be
restarted. Basically, it looks for processes that use files that have been
deleted during the update. I don't know whether Debian offers something
similar.