imap troubles

gene heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Tue Apr 12 22:09:40 BST 2022

On Tuesday, 12 April 2022 15:15:17 EDT Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> gene heskett - 12.04.22, 13:36:36 CEST:
> > > Also there are some other Akonadi related log files beneath
> > > ~/.local/
> > > share/akonadi and sub directories of it.
> >
> > akonadi.error attached
>
> Unfortunately I do not see anything that is obviously wrong in there
> either. But I am no Akonadi developer and do not claim to understand
> each message in there.
>
> So or so… I think you did not really describe the IMAP problem you
> initially had to begin with. Maybe it would be good to go from what
> exactly the issue is that you have.

My imap account at shentel.net, which is an alias link to mail2world, who
is useing dovecot as the mail server, petered out and had zero incoming
after about 13:00 yesterday. Logged in with webmail, no new stuff for 50
some lists I'm subbed to. Then about 17:00, akonadi quit scanning for new
msgs every 5 minutes, I called shentel about 20:00 who claimed nothing
had been changed there. I hadn't changed anything, but when I pulled the
kmail config open, and checked receiving, and clicked on get what the
server supports, its switched my working config from ssl on port 995, to
STARTTLS on 143.  And that worked but I had to enter my passwd at shentel
prior to every refresh. I did that for several hours and wound up
rebooting, at which point kwalletd5 apparently decided to use the new
settings, or something like that and which I'd call a bug in kwalletd5,
as it should use whatever kmail hands it without forcing a reboot, and
its working, sorta, since. Traffic is about 10% of what it normally is.

And now firefox is only showing me headers, no actual msg is displayed in
firefox. And restarting FF does not fix that. So theres something,
someplace, buggier than a 10 day old road kill in August.

Take care Martin, and stay well.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis