Kmail and signing

Aldo Latino aldolat at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 18:23:07 GMT 2021

Hi all,
I have two questions regarding Kmail and the use of the digital signature for
my emails.

1)
I have set up Kmail to add a digital signature to my outgoing emails.

Since I have both an OpenPGP key and an S/Mime certificate, I setup Kmail to
use S/Mime as the default certificate.

But this doesn't happen. Kmail choooses OpenPGP for every email, so I have to
change it manually for every email.

Why this?

2)
Consider this scenario: the wallet is already open.

If I choose to sign my message with OpenPGP, Kmail doesn't ask me for the
passphrase. And that's OK.

If instead I choose to sign the email with the S/Mime certificate, Kmail asks
me for the passphrase the first time I write an email in the session (even if
the wallet is open), then no more for the entire session of work. It seems
that the passphrase for the S/Mime certificate is not stored in the wallet.

Why this?

Thanks in advance.

--
Aldo Latino