Kmail and signing

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Tue Mar 2 19:46:42 GMT 2021

On Dienstag, 2. März 2021 19:23:07 CET Aldo Latino wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have two questions regarding Kmail and the use of the digital signature
> for my emails.
>
> 1)
> I have set up Kmail to add a digital signature to my outgoing emails.
>
> Since I have both an OpenPGP key and an S/Mime certificate, I setup Kmail to
> use S/Mime as the default certificate.

How did you do this? Did you set the S/MIME certificate, but not the OpenPGP
key in your identity?

> But this doesn't happen. Kmail choooses OpenPGP for every email, so I have
> to change it manually for every email.
>
> Why this?

No idea. Could be a bug or an incorrect configuration.

> 2)
> Consider this scenario: the wallet is already open.
>
> If I choose to sign my message with OpenPGP, Kmail doesn't ask me for the
> passphrase. And that's OK.

IMO it's not okay, because I would never store my OpenPGP passphrase in
KWallet. In fact, I protect my KWallet with an OpenPGP key. Of course, that's
just my preference.

> If instead I choose to sign the email with the S/Mime certificate, Kmail
> asks me for the passphrase the first time I write an email in the session
> (even if the wallet is open), then no more for the entire session of work.
> It seems that the passphrase for the S/Mime certificate is not stored in
> the wallet.
>
> Why this?

I don't know. What pinentry application (the thingy that asks for your
passphrase) are you using? I'm using pinentry-qt5 (which is used automatically
by the /usr/bin/pinentry script in openSUSE for people using KDE Plasma). I
don't think pinentry-qt5 interacts in any way with KWallet (but I could be
wrong).