Making kmail5 work from kmail-1.9 mails?

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Fri Dec 3 15:25:00 GMT 2021

On Fri, 3 Dec, 2021 at 9:43 AM, me <gheskett at shentel.net> wrote:

Cc: kdepim-users at kde.org

On Fri, 3 Dec, 2021 at 9:26 AM, rhkramer at gmail.com<mailto:rhkramer at gmail.com> <rhkramer at gmail.com<mailto:rhkramer at gmail.com>> wrote:

To: kdepim-users at kde.org<mailto:kdepim-users at kde.org>
On Friday, December 03, 2021 08:41:51 AM Gene Heskett wrote:
> In my quest to get a working email agent, first question is "how do I get
> kmail5
>
> to recognize and read, about 7 gigs and 45 maildir folders worth of old
> kmail-1.9 mail"?
>

> Ideally it should create folder entries in the left panel simply by finding
> the folder in
>
> /home/$me/Mail, as it is already there, but currently invisible to kmail5.

Just postulating because no one else has responded -- maybe kmail5 can't read
maildirs directly but somehow have to be input to or recognized by Akonadi?
.
How does Akonadi get into this? Shouldn't it be as easy as putting the older kmailrc, someplace where the new kmail can find it?

IOW, what is the path now where kmailrc is stored?

Thanks, rhkramer

I installled one last akonadi gizmo, and that finally gave me a menu to import

old kmail stuff, so its working on that now. I'd estimate about an hour.