Making kmail5 work from kmail-1.9 mails?

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Fri Dec 3 19:33:53 GMT 2021

On Fri, 3 Dec, 2021 at 10:01 AM, Anders Lund <anders at alweb.dk> wrote:

To: kdepim-users at kde.org
fredag den 3. december 2021 15.25.34<http://15.25.34> CET skrev rhkramer at gmail.com<mailto:rhkramer at gmail.com>:
> On Friday, December 03, 2021 08:41:51 AM Gene Heskett wrote:
> > In my quest to get a working email agent, first question is "how do I get
> > kmail5
> >
> > to recognize and read, about 7 gigs and 45 maildir folders worth of old
> > kmail-1.9 mail"?
> >

> > Ideally it should create folder entries in the left panel simply by
> > finding
> > the folder in
> >
> > /home/$me/Mail, as it is already there, but currently invisible to kmail5.
>
> Just postulating because no one else has responded -- maybe kmail5 can't
> read maildirs directly but somehow have to be input to or recognized by
> Akonadi?

Probably. Settings -> Configure KMail then in the dialog Accounts/Receiving,
create a maildir resource.

Kindly,
Anders

but its the output from procmail and is a 5 megabyte  mailfile, in fact some
experiments have also created a pair of maildir files, msg.5digithash style.

but I can't get it to read them either, no reaction to a check mail button click.
No output, failure or otherwise shows in kmail5 bottom line.

I did get it to import the old /home/me/Mail dir, and found it is now using a hidden
mysql database for that. Thats noticeably slower when changing folders, but may
be more dependable too, so it is what it is. I hope.

I do mail fetching with fetchmail, using procmail for its mta, and procmail uses clamav and spamd to weed out some of the BS, depositing what survives wherever I tell it to
by assigning a $HOMEDIR in .procmailrc and using that as the last recipe.  So I can put
it anyplace $me has perms. /var/mail is not the ideal place for that holding area due to
perms problems.

So since I can put incoming mail anyplace I have perms for, how then do I configure
Settings -> Configure KMail then in the dialog Accounts/Receiving?

I currently have it pointed at /var/mail, but I have also failed seeing mails plopped into ~/$me/.local/share/local-mail. I don't think its even looking.

And since they like nothing better than to change working dbus commands, what
is the the exact synatx, sent to kmail via dbus, to make kmail go check the local mail?

My mailwatcher current script has: (and worked on stretch with tde's kmail

===========

Method=dcop
if [[ ${Method} = 'dbus' ]]
then
    Cmd="/usr/bin/qdbus org.kde.kmail /KMail org.kde.kmail.kmail.checkMail"
fi
if [[ ${Method} = 'dcop' ]]
then
#or for dcop, use:
    Cmd="/opt/trinity/bin/dcop kmail KMailIface checkMail"
fi

Will that still work?

Thanks Anders.