Making kmail5 work from kmail-1.9 mails?

David Jarvie djarvie at kde.org
Fri Dec 3 17:50:10 GMT 2021

On Friday, 3 December 2021 14:49:22 GMT Erik Quaeghebeur wrote:
> > In my quest to get a working email agent, first question is
> > "how do I get kmail5 to recognize and read, about 7 gigs and 45 maildir
> > folders worth of old kmail-1.9 mail"?
> >
> > Ideally it should create folder entries in the left panel
> > simply by finding the folder in
> >
> > /home/$me/Mail, as it is already there, but currently invisible to kmail5.
>
> I think you want to create a custom account for that in the settings. See
> attached screenshot.
>
> Alternatively, you can likely copy your mail onto the existing local
> maildir hierarchy.

Using KMail 5.15.3 (KDE apps 20.08.3), I used Akonadiconsole to create an
Akonadi agent of type "Mail" to access an old KMail maildir in ~/Mail.
Presumably this could be created directly in the KMail Settings also, but I
haven't tried. The only snag is that KMail always creates a Local Folders
resource, which means that the Trash folder at least is located elsewhere than
under ~/Mail.

--
David Jarvie.
KDE developer, KAlarm author.