KMail filters: some filters do not activate shortcut

Erik Quaeghebeur mail.kde.org at equaeghe.nospammail.net
Sun Sep 13 21:38:46 BST 2020

Dear Ingo,

Thanks for bearing with me. I've found the cause. It's disclosed at the end
of this message.

> Does the problem persist if you change the name back to the old one?

Yes.

> I have created a filter named "alternative2related", but I couldn't reproduce the
> shortcut issue. Of course, I still believe you.

It's good to be skeptical. I've included a screenshot as proof. ;-)

>> […] Perhaps there is some conflict with a leftover
>> configuration from another, now deleted filter with the same name?
>
> Could be. You can find the filter configuration in
> ~/.config/akonadi_mailfilter_agentrc .

There is nothing in that file that can explain it…

I did a full-text search of my home directory for an offending filter name
(sic). I found the file

~/.local/share/kxmlgui5/kmail2/kmmainwin.rc

that starts with

---
<!DOCTYPE gui>
<!-- This file should be synchronized with kmail_part.rc to provide
     the same menu entries at the same place in KMail and Kontact  -->
---

and also contained

---
 <ActionProperties>
  <Action shortcut="" name="Filter_alternative2related"/>
  <Action shortcut="" name="Filter_html2alternative"/>
  […]
 </ActionProperties>
---

Removing those two lines fixed the issue! I guess the bug here is that
something that should synchronize things didn't, or not properly. Or
perhaps the bug is that these shortcuts take precedence. (I haven't used
kmail2 inside kontact for years now, so it must be leftovers from those
days.)

Best,

Erik