KMail filters: some filters do not activate shortcut

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Fri Sep 18 16:08:57 BST 2020

Hi Erik,

On Sonntag, 13. September 2020 22:38:46 CEST Erik Quaeghebeur wrote:
> Thanks for bearing with me. I've found the cause. It's disclosed at the end
> of this message.

That's excellent detective work on your part tracking down the cause.

> I did a full-text search of my home directory for an offending filter name
> (sic). I found the file
>
> ~/.local/share/kxmlgui5/kmail2/kmmainwin.rc
>
> that starts with
>
> ---
> <!DOCTYPE gui>
> <!-- This file should be synchronized with kmail_part.rc to provide
>      the same menu entries at the same place in KMail and Kontact  -->
> ---
>
> and also contained
>
> ---
>  <ActionProperties>
>   <Action shortcut="" name="Filter_alternative2related"/>
>   <Action shortcut="" name="Filter_html2alternative"/>
>   […]
>  </ActionProperties>
> ---
>
> Removing those two lines fixed the issue!

I think the file
~/.local/share/kxmlgui5/kmail2/kmmainwin.rc
is created/updated if you configure the toolbar. The bug may be that it's not
updated if a shortcut is added to a filter.

> I guess the bug here is that something that should synchronize things
> didn't, or not properly.

The above mentioned note is for developers who change the kmmainwin.rc in the
source code to also change the kmail_part.rc (and vice-versa). There is no
automatic synchronization between user-specific .rc files (and it could be
undesired because users might want to have different toolbar entries in KMail
and Kontact).

> Or perhaps the bug is that these shortcuts take precedence.

Yes, could be. I guess shortcuts that are explicitly defined in the filter
configuration should take precedence over the information in the .rc files.