KMail filters: some filters do not activate shortcut

Erik Quaeghebeur kdepim-users at equaeghe.nospammail.net
Sat Sep 12 23:32:14 BST 2020

Dear Ingo,

Thanks for your suggestions. They led me to finding what triggers it,
although I do not understand it, at all. I'm quite sure there's a bug here.
I was typing this mail while testing stuff and finding the cause. I've left
my replies to your questions at the bottom for completeness.

Now, *the cause is the name of the filter*. I have the problem with

* html2alternative
* alternative2related

but for example not with

* edit
* alternative2plain
* alternative2mixed
* multipart_get_part_0

Changing the problematic ones with, e.g.,

* h2a, html2alternative, html2alternatives
* a2r

fixes the shortcut issue.

I see no pattern. Length can't be it (there are longer and shorter ones).
Character types used can't be it (there are others, including the working
alternatives, with the same character types). It seems to be the exact
strings that cause the issue, as subtracting or adding just one letter
fixes the issue… Perhaps there is some conflict with a leftover
configuration from another, now deleted filter with the same name?

Best,

Erik

On zaterdag 12 september 2020 23:17:21 CEST, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> Do those shortcuts probably conflict with other shortcuts? […]

No. I checked. Also, no conflict is reported, which happens when I choose a
shortcut that already exists.

> But, did you try to  use a shortcut that works for one of the filters for one of the
> other filters that make problems?

I now did. The problem seems filter specific. Namely, re-assigning a
shortcut for a filter for which that shortcut works to a filter that
exhibits the problem does not make that shortcut appear for the latter
filter. Assigning it back to the original filter makes it appear again…

> Can you spot any pattern concerning the problematic filters, e.g. are they
> also used for automatic filtering?

No. All my filters are manual, with a shortcut assigned. They all have the
same structure: first copy to Trash, then process the mail with a script
using the “Pipe through” action. There is also nothing in their name that
makes them different from the others. Also their position in the order of
filters is nothing special; changing the order does not change things.