kmail has messed up the email accounts

test test at adminart.net
Mon Jun 8 19:53:15 BST 2020

On Sun, 2020-06-07 at 15:00 +0200, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Hi.
>
> test - 07.06.20, 03:56:36 CEST:
> > >
> > > If removing the resources using kmail or akonadiconsole does not
> > > work, you'll have to delete files manually, I guess.
> > >
> > > https://techbase.kde.org/KDE_PIM/Akonadi#Akonadi_FAQ tells us that
> > > akonadi's files are under
> > >
> > > ~/.config/akonadi
> > > ~/.local/share/akonadi
> > >
> > > However, I think to get a more complete view, you can search in the
> > > ~/.config, ./local, and ./cache directories, e.g., using
> > >
> > > $ find . -name "*akonadi*" -print | less
> > >
> > > Also, ~/.local/share/local-mail/ will contain your local mailbox
> > > files.
> > Thanks!  I have done this several times already, and every time there
> > was something left.  Last time the identies remained, and it's
> > probably what messed them up in the first place.  Maybe there are
> > some files not named like akonadi and not named like kmail so I
> > didn't find all the files that need to be deleted.
>
> The identities are stored in ~/.config/emailidentities

Thanks, that could be the file I missed when trying to delete everything.

> And yeah… its confusing. Everything related to KMail and other KDEPIM
> applications is spread out quite a bit.

Well, why not store it in the database when one is being used anyway ...
 Or better yet, put everything into a single configuration file we can
edit, or optinally, into files in a directory or directories specified in
the configuration file ...

Files spread all over the place is generally one of the criteria for
software not fit for use.  It's one of the things that have always made
Windows unusable.

> I am not aware of a complete list of everything although I believe Dan
> wrote a quite complete list onto this mailing list once.

It would be nice if that were part of the documentation.

> But I agree… some concepts can be difficult to understand and it is
> quite
> complex. As a lot depends on each other it may be difficult to change it
> in order to make it simpler… without loosing to much of functionality.

Keeping things simple is always a good idea.

> That said, I do use different email identities and do not seem to have a
> psychological issue from that :)

If I were to say anything to that, people would feel insulted again.