kmail has messed up the email accounts

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Mon Jun 1 12:22:27 BST 2020

Thomas Tanghus - 01.06.20, 12:52:00 CEST:
> On Monday, 1 June 2020 12.41 test wrote:
> > On 6/1/20 11:59 AM, Ian Douglas wrote:
> > > On Monday, 01 June 2020 11:45:50 SAST test wrote:
> > > It's got nothing to do with other meanings of the word "identity".
> >
> > Well, why isn't it called 'email account'?
>
> Because you can have several identities - name, signature, encryption,
> templates etc - for each email account. I use it.

Yes.

A mail account in KMail/Akonadi is realized by several resources and
agents.

- A POP3 or IMAP resource
- With POP3 also a maildir resource to store mails in
- With IMAP you usually also have a maildir resource running and you
could local folders to archive mails from IMAP resource to it.
- A maildispatcher agent for sending out mails, usually with SMTP

An identity now saws which signature, mail address and so on to use.

If you setup up a new account with the wizard it builds everything
together for you.

What one can argue is missing later is an account centric overview or
thingsā€¦ i.e. a settings view where you can see: What resources and
agents are involved with account so and so?

I think there has been ideas or even plans to rework some of the account
handling, but I am not aware of the current state of that.

Best,
--
Martin