kmail has messed up the email accounts

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Mon Jun 8 17:05:53 BST 2020

On Monday, 8 June 2020 13:12:09 UTC test wrote:
> On Sat, 2020-06-06 at 17:21 +0000, Paul Vixie wrote:
>
> Like I said, I deleted (yet again) all files related to akonadi and kmail I
> could find, and the so-called identities were still there, though in some
> broken state.  I reconfigured them and it never worked right, and finally
> messages I sent didn't show up, so I ran akonadictl fsck.  Since then,
> kmail only shows the message in the attachment.

i gotta admit i've been in that situation. had to create a new login account
with a fresh directory, then migrated my non-KDE files to it.

> Kmail is not the only MUA supporting gpg.  Thunderbird, and probably
> seamonkey, do that since 15 years or so since someone created Enigmail.
>  Evolution also seems to support it, i. e. there are menue entries for it,
> though I never tried.

i found thunderbird to be unusable for a different set of reasons, and am now
running postbox (a derivative by the original t-bird team) and it doesn't
support enigmail. but if you can get what you need elsewhere, you should.

> Yes, and to make it more difficult, there a quite a few different versions
> of C++ as it's evolving over time.  That doesn't mean it would be too
> difficult to modify stuff, though kmail probably depends so heavily on
> akonadi that it's not so easy to remove.

it's not a removal question, it's a refactoring question. to get rid of
akonadi, all of its ldap and imap and other protocol support would have to be
put back into a library that kmail could call, or back into kmail itself. i
won't even attempt this since i'd then have to self-maintain thereafter.

> If I only knew _all_ the files I need to delete, I'd just start over.  All
> messages are on IMAP servers, and I switched to imapfilter for filtering
> because it's independant of the MUA, so kmail doesn't need to and shouldn't
> need to store anything other than the login and server information required
> to access and send the messages.

before i switched to pgsql, i was nuking the mysql database and re-creating it
three times a month. when i did this it remembered quite a bit about my
servers and identities; the thing i had to reset was my selections of template
folder, outgoing message folder, and trash folder for each identity. someone
here suggested that ~/.config/emailidentities is what holds that metadata, and
from shallow inspection this looks like the file you'd have to kill. or you
can try what i did, make a new login, create your KDE PIM identity, and then
migrate your non-KDE or non-PIM files to that new login. it's frustrating, and
intractible -- the only programmers adept enough to fix and enhance KDE PIM
all have day jobs and aren't open to grant funding to control their focus.

--
Paul