kmail has messed up the email accounts

test test at adminart.net
Mon Jun 8 22:12:50 BST 2020

On Mon, 2020-06-08 at 16:05 +0000, Paul Vixie wrote:
> On Monday, 8 June 2020 13:12:09 UTC test wrote:
> > On Sat, 2020-06-06 at 17:21 +0000, Paul Vixie wrote:
> >
> > Like I said, I deleted (yet again) all files related to akonadi and
> > kmail I
> > could find, and the so-called identities were still there, though in
> > some
> > broken state.  I reconfigured them and it never worked right, and
> > finally
> > messages I sent didn't show up, so I ran akonadictl fsck.  Since then,
> > kmail only shows the message in the attachment.
>
> i gotta admit i've been in that situation. had to create a new login
> account
> with a fresh directory, then migrated my non-KDE files to it.

You mean a new user account on my computer?  I'm not gona do that.

> > Kmail is not the only MUA supporting gpg.  Thunderbird, and probably
> > seamonkey, do that since 15 years or so since someone created Enigmail.
> >  Evolution also seems to support it, i. e. there are menue entries for
> > it,
> > though I never tried.
>
> i found thunderbird to be unusable for a different set of reasons, and am
> now
> running postbox (a derivative by the original t-bird team) and it
> doesn't
> support enigmail. but if you can get what you need elsewhere, you should.

And evolution doesn't work, either?

> > Yes, and to make it more difficult, there a quite a few different
> > versions
> > of C++ as it's evolving over time.  That doesn't mean it would be too
> > difficult to modify stuff, though kmail probably depends so heavily on
> > akonadi that it's not so easy to remove.
>
> it's not a removal question, it's a refactoring question. to get rid of
> akonadi, all of its ldap and imap and other protocol support would have
> to be
> put back into a library that kmail could call, or back into kmail itself.
> won't even attempt this since i'd then have to self-maintain thereafter.

There are probably libraries that handle LDAP and IMAP; maybe akonadi uses
them.  It would probably be much more difficult to maintain a fork of kmail
using such libraries.

Doesn't kmail support plugins?  If akonadi was a plugin, we could just
replace it maybe ...

> > If I only knew _all_ the files I need to delete, I'd just start
> > over.  All
> > messages are on IMAP servers, and I switched to imapfilter for
> > filtering
> > because it's independant of the MUA, so kmail doesn't need to and
> > shouldn't
> > need to store anything other than the login and server information
> > required
> > to access and send the messages.
>
> before i switched to pgsql, i was nuking the mysql database and re-
> creating it
> three times a month. when i did this it remembered quite a bit about my
> servers and identities; the thing i had to reset was my selections of
> template
> folder, outgoing message folder, and trash folder for each identity.

The only folder that showed up was the Trash folder ...

> someone
> here suggested that ~/.config/emailidentities is what holds that
> metadata, and
> from shallow inspection this looks like the file you'd have to kill.

Yes, besides all the other files ...  I'm tired of doing that and am
getting used to evolution in the meantime, and perhaps I'll miss another
one this time, and I won't have made any progress.

>  or you
> can try what i did, make a new login, create your KDE PIM identity, and
> then
> migrate your non-KDE or non-PIM files to that new login. it's
> frustrating, and
> intractible -- the only programmers adept enough to fix and enhance KDE
> PIM
> all have day jobs and aren't open to grant funding to control their
> focus.

I don't have, nor want, a PIM identity.  I just want to use some email
accounts, and I need a MUA that works, preferably one I like, and it
doesn't and shouldn't have anything to do with any identity ...