How to show the size of messages?

test test at adminart.net
Sun Jan 26 20:49:40 GMT 2020

On Sunday, January 26, 2020 9:03:56 PM CET Erik Quaeghebeur wrote:
> > You have a menu on the second screenshot showing a menu.  I
> > don't seem to have this menu, either.  How did you get that?
>
> As I suggested: clone a theme and try it out. (Right-click the elements in
> the ‘example’.) It seems that you cannot modify stock themes. That may be
> the one thing I hadn't realized and therefore didn't mention that may be
> holding you back.

Right, it makes people think that it doesn't work.  It would be better to get
a warning that you need to create a new theme or clone first.

> > There is no indication that there can be columns when there is
> > only one.  The
> > text shouldn't say that there are columns when there aren't any
> > or should say
> > that you could have some and how.  And see above, I don't have this menu.
>
> Did you try to clone a theme, as I suggested?

Yes, and the cloned theme doesn't have columns, either :)

> > I like flexibility, and I think there is quite a gap between the design
> > and
> > the flexibility.  How to get the size displayed is probably all obvious to
> > someone who designed/programmed it and maybe someone who just likes to
> > play
> > with all the buttons while it is nothing but confusing to the
> > point of being
> > impossible to someone like me who just needed to quickly pick some
> > messages
> > amongst many while in the process in doing something entirely different.
>
> I can understand that it must be frustrating when nothing works as you
> would expect. But I think that once you try to clone a theme and try to
> drag the size box, you'll find things are more intuitive than you currently
> believe.

Once it works it's actually great.  The changes I mentioned might make it even
better, and I wish there was an Apply button so we can see the changes made
without closing the editing window.

> >> In any case, I suggest you clone a theme,
> >> and then explore and try until you've discovered all features.
> >
> > That is precisely what I wanted to avoid: play with all the buttons.  But
> > can do that now ...
>
> Well, do it: clone a theme and just drag the single box (size) that you
> want to add. (Please do not spend time replying until you have cloned a
> theme and tried to drag the size box to your preferred location.)
>
> If it still doesn't work, I think your installation is broken.

Fortunately, it seems to work fine :)

I keep getting a notification (like every time when mail is being checked)
that there are multiple merge candidates in folder XXX.  I have a folder XXX
in two different accounts.  Is there anything I could do to avoid this
notification?  So far nothing bad seems to have happened, but that doesn't
mean it's ok.

> > Well, I can drag the fields and it has no effect, and I'm not getting this
> > menu.  Maybe it works better when I clone a theme ...
>
> Please do try that. I want to help, but it is, to be honest, a little
> frustrating when one gets the impression that one's suggestions are ignored
> and exploration time is wasted writing instead.

Sure is; I just wanted to finish the mail before playing with the buttons.

> > Where would I find the log files?
>
> This is distribution-specific.

I thought kmail might have it's own log file somehwere.