How to show the size of messages?

Erik Quaeghebeur kdepim-users at equaeghe.nospammail.net
Sun Jan 26 20:03:56 GMT 2020

> You have a menu on the second screenshot showing a menu.  I
> don't seem to have this menu, either.  How did you get that?

As I suggested: clone a theme and try it out. (Right-click the elements in
the ‘example’.) It seems that you cannot modify stock themes. That may be
the one thing I hadn't realized and therefore didn't mention that may be
holding you back.

> There is no indication that there can be columns when there is
> only one.  The
> text shouldn't say that there are columns when there aren't any
> or should say
> that you could have some and how.  And see above, I don't have this menu.

Did you try to clone a theme, as I suggested?

> When you just want to add the size field and not play with all the buttons,
> it's only confusing.  And why are there even fields shown when
> you can't use
> them anyway?

You can, I think, if you clone a theme.

> I like flexibility, and I think there is quite a gap between the design and
> the flexibility.  How to get the size displayed is probably all obvious to
> someone who designed/programmed it and maybe someone who just likes to play
> with all the buttons while it is nothing but confusing to the
> point of being
> impossible to someone like me who just needed to quickly pick some messages
> amongst many while in the process in doing something entirely different.

I can understand that it must be frustrating when nothing works as you
would expect. But I think that once you try to clone a theme and try to
drag the size box, you'll find things are more intuitive than you currently
believe.

>> In any case, I suggest you clone a theme,
>> and then explore and try until you've discovered all features.
>
> That is precisely what I wanted to avoid: play with all the buttons.  But I
> can do that now ...

Well, do it: clone a theme and just drag the single box (size) that you
want to add. (Please do not spend time replying until you have cloned a
theme and tried to drag the size box to your preferred location.)

If it still doesn't work, I think your installation is broken.

> Well, I can drag the fields and it has no effect, and I'm not getting this
> menu.  Maybe it works better when I clone a theme ...

Please do try that. I want to help, but it is, to be honest, a little
frustrating when one gets the impression that one's suggestions are ignored
and exploration time is wasted writing instead.

> Where would I find the log files?

This is distribution-specific. Possibly you can use ‘journalctl’ (consult
man page for options), ‘dmesg’, or look at files in /var/log. Perhaps
search ‘view logs on <name of your distribution>’ on-line.

Success,

Erik