How to show the size of messages?

test test at adminart.net
Sun Jan 26 19:40:58 GMT 2020

On Saturday, January 25, 2020 9:27:14 PM CET Erik Quaeghebeur wrote:

> >> Have a look at
> >>
> >> 	View > Message List > Theme > Configure…
> >
> > Apparently I am supposed to drag fields from the middle part of
> > the window to the lower part,
>
> Yes.
>
> > and when I drag the Size field, nothing happens other than
> > that the mouser pointer changes.  It doesn't matter which field
> > I'm dragging.
>
> Hmm, it works for me. In the attached screenshot (partly Dutch interface)
> you can see the bar where I'm ‘dropping’ the size box (first screenshot,
> didn't manage to include the mouse pointer, clearly).

You have a menu on the second screenshot showing a menu.  I don't seem to have
this menu, either.  How did you get that?

> > The text at the bottom of the window mentions columns and "more
> > options".  I don't see any columns, and I'm not seeing any "more
> > options" either.
>
> The smart theme has only one column. Have a look at the Classic one to see
> more columns. Right-click the elements for more options (see second
> screenshot).

There is no indication that there can be columns when there is only one.  The
text shouldn't say that there are columns when there aren't any or should say
that you could have some and how.  And see above, I don't have this menu.

When you just want to add the size field and not play with all the buttons,
it's only confusing.  And why are there even fields shown when you can't use
them anyway?

> > Is this somehow buggy or just utterly bad GUI design?
>
> No, TBH, I find this to be a nice piece of design; I don't think many MUAs
> allow this kind of flexibility.

I like flexibility, and I think there is quite a gap between the design and
the flexibility.  How to get the size displayed is probably all obvious to
someone who designed/programmed it and maybe someone who just likes to play
with all the buttons while it is nothing but confusing to the point of being
impossible to someone like me who just needed to quickly pick some messages
amongst many while in the process in doing something entirely different.

> In any case, I suggest you clone a theme,
> and then explore and try until you've discovered all features.

That is precisely what I wanted to avoid: play with all the buttons.  But I
can do that now ...

> Because
> you're working on a clone, you cannot mess up the existing themes.
>
> Now, in your screenshot, I see that you are missing some icons. You may
> need to choose another icon theme to get a fuller complement of icons.
> (Breeze has many.)

That's ok, I don't care about icons.  Without text, I never know what an icon
is for anyway.  They basically all look the same to me, especially the tiny
ones you can't really see anyway.  I think I picked this one only because it
makes the mouse pointer better to see ...

> If you really can't drag-and-drop boxes and get
> right-click menus in this interface, something is broken in your
> installation. Then, I'd have a look at the logs to see if kmail complains
> about some missing stuff.

Well, I can drag the fields and it has no effect, and I'm not getting this
menu.  Maybe it works better when I clone a theme ...  Where would I find the
log files?