How to show the size of messages?

Erik Quaeghebeur kdepim-users at equaeghe.nospammail.net
Sat Jan 25 20:27:14 GMT 2020

>>> how can I show the size of messages in the message list?
>>
>> Have a look at
>>
>> 	View > Message List > Theme > Configure…
>
> Apparently I am supposed to drag fields from the middle part of
> the window to the lower part,

Yes.

> and when I drag the Size field, nothing happens other than
> that the mouser pointer changes.  It doesn't matter which field
> I'm dragging.

Hmm, it works for me. In the attached screenshot (partly Dutch interface)
you can see the bar where I'm ‘dropping’ the size box (first screenshot,
didn't manage to include the mouse pointer, clearly).

> The text at the bottom of the window mentions columns and "more
> options".  I don't see any columns, and I'm not seeing any "more
> options" either.

The smart theme has only one column. Have a look at the Classic one to see
more columns. Right-click the elements for more options (see second
screenshot).

> Is this somehow buggy or just utterly bad GUI design?

No, TBH, I find this to be a nice piece of design; I don't think many MUAs
allow this kind of flexibility. In any case, I suggest you clone a theme,
and then explore and try until you've discovered all features. Because
you're working on a clone, you cannot mess up the existing themes.

Now, in your screenshot, I see that you are missing some icons. You may
need to choose another icon theme to get a fuller complement of icons.
(Breeze has many.) If you really can't drag-and-drop boxes and get
right-click menus in this interface, something is broken in your
installation. Then, I'd have a look at the logs to see if kmail complains
about some missing stuff.

Success,

Erik